The Academic's Handbook
Leveringstid: Usikker levering*
*Vi bestiller varen fra forlag i utlandet. Dersom varen finnes, sender vi den så snart vi får den til lager
Kjøp NÅ - få 77 bonuskroner!
- The different kinds of institutions of higher learning and expectations of faculty at each.
- The advantages and disadvantages of teaching at four-year colleges instead of research universities.
- The ins and outs of the job market.
- Alternatives to tenure-track, research-oriented positions.
- Salary and benefits.
- The tenure system.
- Pedagogy in both large lecture courses and small, discussion-based seminars.
- The difficulties facing women and minorities within academia.
- Corporations, foundations, and the federal government as potential sources of research funds.
- The challenges of faculty mentoring.
- The impact of technology on contemporary teaching and learning.
- Different types of publishers and the publishing process at university presses.
- The modern research library.
- The structure of university governance.
- The role of departments within the university.
With the inclusion of eight new chapters, this edition of The Academic's Handbook is designed to ease the transition from graduate school to a well-rounded and rewarding career.
Contributors. Judith K. Argon, Louis J. Budd, Ronald R. Butters, Norman L. Christensen, Joel Colton, Paul L. Conway, John G. Cross, Fred E. Crossland, Cathy N. Davidson, A. Leigh DeNeef, Beth A. Eastlick, Matthew W. Finkin, Jerry G. Gaff, Edie N. Goldenberg, Craufurd D. Goodwin, Stanley M. Hauerwas, Deborah L. Jakubs, L. Gregory Jones, Nellie Y. McKay, Patrick M. Murphy, Elizabeth Studley Nathans, A. Kenneth Pye, Zachary B. Robbins, Anne Firor Scott, Sudhir Shetty, Samuel Schuman, Philip Stewart, Boyd R. Strain, Emily Toth, P. Aarne Vesilind, Judith S. White, Henry M. Wilbur, Ken Wissoker
Preface to the Third Edition vii
1. Loving the Academic's Vocation, Institutions and All: A Retrospective Appreciation of the Colloquium on The Academic's Handbook / L. Gregory Jones 1
Part I. The Academy and the Academic
2. Faculty in the Variety of American Colleges and Universities / Jerry G. Graff 11
3. Small is . . . Different: A Guide for Newcomers to Small Colleges / Samuel Schuman 22
4. The Morality of Teaching / Stanley Hauwerwas 38
5. Women in Academia (With Updated Afterword) / Emily Toth 47
6. Minority Faculty in (Mainstream White) Academia / Nellie Y. McKay 62
Part II. Some Issues in the Academy Today
7. Fads and Fashions on Campus: Interdisciplinarity and Internationalization / Craufurd D. Goodwin 79
8. Free Speech and Academic Freedom / Ronald R. Butters 87
9. Anticipating and Avoiding Misperceptions of Harassment 98
10. The Responsible Conduct of Academic Research / P. Aarne Vesilind 112
Part III. Academic Employment
11. On Getting a Job / Henry M. Wilbur 123
12. The Job Market: An Overview / Sudhir Shetty 136
13. Off-Track Vetting / John G. Cross and Edie N. Goldenberg 144
14. The Tenure System / Matthew W. Finkin 155
15. Some Tips on Getting Tenure / Craufurd D. Goodwin 168
16. Academic Salaries and Benefits / A. Leigh DeNeef 176
Part IV. Teaching and Advising
17. The Nuts and Bolts of Running a Lecture Course / Norman L. Christensen 203
18. Why I Teach by Discussion / Anne Firor Scott 212
19. New Faculty Members and Advising / Elizabeth Studley Nathans 217
20. Some Thoughts on Faculty Mentoring / A. Leigh DeNeef 229
21. Considering the Impact of Technology in Teaching and Learning / Patrick M. Murphy 236
Part V. Funding Academic Research
22. Corporate Relations and Foundation Fundraising / Beth A. Eas