Social Mobility in Contemporary India
Leveringstid: Sendes innen 21 dager
På grunn av Brexit-tilpasninger og tiltak for å begrense covid-19 kan det dessverre oppstå forsinket levering.
structures over time and across demographics. This book draws on national level datasets and quantitative methods to understand the multiple strands of social mobility or the lack of it, by focusing on the overlapping identities of social class, caste, and gender in both rural and urban context. It
investigates the contemporary processes and drivers of mobility, and appraises the role of education in supporting or preventing increased upward social mobility by concentrating on those groups that are disadvantaged from this very opportunity. It also takes into account the impact of liberalization on social mobility and argues that mobility today is differentially patterned on the basis of local and global identities.
List of Tables
1. Introduction: Approaching Social Mobility
2. The Indian Context: Caste, Gender, and the Labour Market
3. How Many Classes are There? Class Debates and Class Schema
4. How Mobile is India? Social Mobility Patterns and Trends
5. Cutting Through Caste and Class Mobility
6. Mobility Mechanisms: The Role of Education
7. Conclusions: Unequal Chances
About the Author