Veiling in Fashion
Space and the Hijab in Minority Communities
Leveringstid: Sendes innen 7 virkedager
Kjøp NÅ - få 53 bonuskroner!
The book provides an innovative approach to studying veiling by connecting varied realms of practice, demonstrating how domains as apparently separate as fashion, materiality, city spaces, private life, religious beliefs, and cosmopolitan social conditions are all tightly bound up together in ways that only a sensitive multi-disciplinary approach can reveal. It will appeal to scholars and students in fashion, gender, religion, material cultures, and the construction of space.
List of Illustrations
1. Introduction: The Veil, Fashion, Space, Everyday Life and Globalization
2. Investigating the Veil in Finland
3. Commercial Spaces: Local, Transnational, Multinational and Deterritorial
4. Spaces of Comfort and Discomfort: Physical and Emotional, Social and Global
5. Community Spaces: Global and Intimate Ummah, Schools and Mosques
6. Spaces of Integration and Adaptation: Citizenship, Workplace and Sport Venues
7. Public and Private Spaces: Visibility, Face and Gender
8. Conclusion: On Politics, Veiling and Sociology of Fashion
Appendix: Research Methods
A multidisciplinary book exploring the hijab's role in fashion, communities and religion, which uses in-depth studies of veiling practices in Finland to reflect on Muslim dress in minority communities.